I’m not really the camping type. I require a shower immediately upon waking up, I like to be able to flip a switch and have hot coffee and I don’t really like bugs. Fortunately, I use the term “camping” very liberally when describing my upcoming trip. I’m only camping in so far as I’m sleeping in a tent. I will be a hop, skip and a jump away from running water, a coffee shop and an entire amusement/water park. So I’m actually pretty excited it! This magical place is two hours, 115 miles and a whole world away from Sweet Home Chicago in Monticello, IN: the home of the classy Indiana Beach.
This will be my second trip to Indiana Beach, but my boyfriend and his friends go every year. Before the trip last year, I was nervous. I had heard all the crazy stories, but all I knew for sure was that I had a custom-made jersey, screen printed in neon, with my name on it that I was actually encouraged to wear in public.
Here are a few things I learned last year:
- They sell bagels at the coffee shop. Eat them.
- Bring Tylenol
- Don’t try to shave your legs in the showers
- Don’t touch anything in the showers. In fact, unless you’re an OCD shower-taker like me, I’d suggest avoiding the showers entirely.
- Make friends with your neighbors. They might give you meat.
- Don’t drink your rootbeer too fast
- Bring two towels
- Shirts are optional
- Drink more water
- Bring tennis shoes so they let you on the ropes course
- Don’t hope for an actual beach if you dont want to be let down
- Leave your inhibitions at the secured, gated and guarded entrance because you will probably feel extremely uncomfortable at some point
- Don’t feed the carp. (Or do. I was never sure about that one.)
Even knowing all that, I still only feel slightly more prepared for the adventure this year compared to last year. I do know, though, that I couldn’t be more excited!